Hornby DCC Controllers...power and simplicity, at your fingertips!
The Hornby Elite
Twin control with press switch functions, 17 button keyboard, wide function LCD screen display and a 4 amp transformer plus the capabilities of registering 254 locomotive addresses as well as 255 accessory addresses, and that includes point control. Also there is a USB portal for linking to a computer and the internet! Ideal for any upgrade packages that become available.
The Hornby ‘Elite’ is quite literally designed for the model layout that demands more control. Now this is the way to run a railway!
The Hornby ‘Elite’ - Simple to understand, simple to use and designed for not only today but for the digital developments of tomorrow.
The 17 button keypad includes not only buttons 0 - 9 keys which are alpha numeric, but other keys marked ‘Locomotive’, ‘Accessory’, ‘Function’, ‘Lights’, ‘Menu’, ‘Escape’ and of course ‘Stop!’ These multi-function keys provide the basis for the programming and functioning of up to 254 locomotives and 255 accessories including points.
The keypad has the capability of entering into the unit’s memory the names and numbers of locomotives and accessories as well as inputting the various functions that the Hornby ‘Elite’ offers.
The liquid crystal display centred on the 'Elite' has 2 rows of 8 characters, train direction indicators, a speed indicator and a set of 13 numbers which are 0 - 12 and these will show the various functions that are switched on in respect of locomotives or accessories under direct control. A clock is also included on the display which can be set to real time or can be set up to 10X faster. Working with the Rotary Controls the display will be able to keep the operator fully up to date with the functioning’s of the ‘Elite’.
The ‘Elite’ is supplied with a 4 amp transformer. 3 amps are passed directly to the tracks and 1amp is for separately wired Accessories, therefore the ‘Elite’ is capable of providing enough power to run at any one time approximately 10 locomotives depending on how power efficient the locomotives are.
The Hornby ‘Elite’ Digital Unit incorporates two rotary controllers which not only control the assigned locomotives but also assist in registering each model and accessory to the ‘Elite’. The controls are able to do this by a simple click and turn procedure.
This method is also employed to add names to the ‘Elite’s’ display so that in place of locomotives being identified with just a number, abbreviated names can be used.
The pressing of the Rotary Controls not only determines which controller has control, but also the direction of the locomotive’s travel. This process is also used to activate a point motor.These are just a sample of some of the functions that are associated with the Rotary Controllers; however they do go to illustrate the highly technical advances that the Hornby Digital ‘Elite’ offers to the keen railway modeller.
The Hornby ‘Elite’ - Just look at these features:
- A 4 amp power supply.
- The ‘Elite’ can programme in all 4 modes: Direct, Register, Paged and Operate.
- Full CV read and programming function.
- 3-speed steps - 14, 28, 128.
- NMRA Certificated.
- Complies with EMC requirements.
- Supports Short and Extended Addressing.
- Controls up to 255 points and accessories.
- Supports RailCom® Lenz GmbH.
- Allows 64 consists (Double Heading)
- Controls up to 64 locomotives at any one time providing the power is available.
- Large, no-nonsense on-screen display.
- Hand-held or freestanding unit.
- The facility to operate up to 29 functions. (Sounds, lights etc.)
- Twin train control.
- USB for downloading system updates and for connection to third party software.
- Favourites setting - list up to 255 favourite locomotives for quick and easy ‘call up’.
- Supports 5 languages. (Italian, French, German, Spanish, English)
- Separate Programming and Mainline Connections.
- Locomotive search function.
- A Programmable ‘scale’ clock. Ratios from 1:1 (Real-time) up to 1:10.
- Easy step by step users guide. (Italian, French, German, Spanish).
- No batteries required.
The Hornby Select
The Hornby ‘Select’ - the perfect way to enter the digital world of model railways. The ‘Select’ is capable of having controlability of up to 60 locomotives and providing power is available, capable of running 10 of them at any one time. The ‘Select’ can also operate 39 accessories including point motors when used with the R8247 Point / Accessory Decoder or the R8216 Point Decoder. The stylish design presents all the control features available from the ‘Select’ at the operator’s finger tips. From the smooth operation of the rotary control to the large LCD display the ‘Select’ is an ideal way to enter the digital World of model railways.
The keypad has 16 keys used to register and programme locomotives or accessories, set acceleration and deceleration levels, direction settings, and for emergency stopping!
The 'Select' allows for 59 locomotives to be registered to the unit and 38 accessories. Each locomotive can be coded with up to 99 levels of acceleration or deceleration speeds. Locomotives have an ID number allocated to them from 1 - 59 and similarly, accessories are given numbers of 61 - 99.
The LCD Display screen of the 'Select' shows the number of the locomotive or accessory which is in the process of being selected. This number will flash until the 'Select' button is pressed. The number will remain on the screen until another locomotive or accessory is chosen. The screen also displays various other functions and operating instructions that the 'Select' features.
Once the locomotive required to run has been ‘called up’ and the direction of travel has been decided the model is ready to go. By turning the rotary control clockwise the locomotive will move off with the speed being proportional to the amount the control knob has been rotated. If an acceleration level has been chosen then a more gradual acceleration can be expected depending on the setting.
To slow the locomotive down, the knob is turned anti-clockwise and similar to the acceleration programming, if a deceleration setting has been coded into the locomotive the model will gradually slow.
The ‘Select’ is powered by a 220V AC wall-mounted Switch Mode transformer which indirectly supplies 1amp 15V AC power to the track as well as 15V DC power to an uncontrolled outlet which can be used as an alternative electrical source to provide power for point motors and accessories in the traditional analogue manner. Please note: When operating point motors from the uncontrolled output it may become necessary to avoid “tripping” the transformers safety cut out, to use a capacitor discharge unit.
A larger 4 amp transformer is available for use with the 'Select' unit which will provide additional power to the tracks allowing for more locomotives to be run simultaneously.
The Hornby ‘Select’ - Simple to understand and even simpler to use... Just look at these features.
Up to 8 ‘Select Walkabout’ units can be connected to the ‘Select’ for individual control of 9 locomotives.
- Complies with EMC requirements.*
- Easy step by step users guide in Italian, French and German.
- No batteries required.
- Up to nine locomotive functions and with upgraded firmware (v1.5), all 29 functions. Can switch on and off locomotive lights and sounds including whistles, horns, etc. when used with locomotives fitted with sound decoders.
- Commands up to 10 locomotives simultaneously (providing power is available).
- The possibility of up to 3 locomotives running at any one time using the1amp transformer supplied.
A 4 amp transformer is available for added power.
- Can be hand held or a free standing unit.
- Incorporates 128 speed steps for smooth locomotive control. Can be programmed to accommodate 14 and 28 speed steps
- Able to programme 59 locomotives and 38 accessories. (The 60th locomotive would be coded as ‘0’ and does not require a decoder.
- Supports XpressNet protocol